Sunday, February 12, 2017

Hackintosh complete!

Hackintosh complete!


As I mentioned planning on doing to my netbook in a previous post, a few weeks ago I tore apart my perfectly good netbook and cut some holes in the case -- fruit shaped holes that is!  I really wish I would have taken pictures throughout the process of putting the Apple inlay into my netbook lid, but I was too excited about doing it to be bothered to stop and get the camera out.  The same basic procedure was documented here.

Here is a picture of the finished product.



I didnt have to fiddle around with cutting any plastic away from the actual screen like they mentioned in that other blog, just the obligatory dremel work.  Since the lid to the old iBook I bought on ebay to snag the Apple inlay out of was made of aluminum, it actually made a good routing template.  Id be lying if I said it came out perfect though, there were some tiny gaps in some places.  The biggest problem though was the fact that the apple inlay I got was very shallow (its maybe 3/16" thick at most) so it sits a little bit inset on the lid.  At first I was not considering sanding the lid down to make it flush because it would make the netbook a little less rigid.  Because I didnt plan on sanding from the get go, I opted not to center the apple logo on the lid, instead putting it just above center where the original ASUS inlay was. In the end though, the fact that part of the original ASUS inlay is still visible got to me and I took my orbital sander to it.  Now the apple sits nice and flush with the rest of the case and no more remnants of the debossed ASUS logo.  All in all, it only took about 15 minutes of sanding and yes, the top of the lid is somewhat more flexible than it previously was, but not terribly so.  After I sanded it down, I cleaned it thoroughly to get all the dust off and then I filled the tiny gaps between the apple inlay and the case with super glue.  Then once the super glue had dried, I sanded the some more until everything was flush again.  Now I just need to get some fine grit sand paper and make the case smooth again and possibly put a few coats of clear acrylic on it.  However my past experience with acryllic is that it takes a very long time to become fully hardened, so maybe water sanding and then polishing the shell with rubbing/polishing compound may be a better choice.  I am considering leaving the surface matte in order to prefent some of the scuffs and dings that a laptop may incur.


Available link for download